Thursday, July 24, 2008

Get it Straight

Started the work day in Austin today moved through Blooming Prairie, over to Owatonna/Medford. Stopped in to the big shop over in Owatonna...man why can't they put ALL the hooks in 1 aisle? (HOF it was so easy coming over to your place and getting those Owner hooks. ) They didn't have any Sled Heads either. Looked around, watched the fish, found some of my favorite plastics clearanced to 88 cents . anyway now that I had something to fish with off to the river I went. First cast with a frog style plastic, and fish explodes to the top and crushes the bait... best 88 cents ever! Largie for sure right? Never fought one like this, fighting and reeling, finally get the fish closer to the bank and viola: Northern Pike. Sweet, just as i bend down, fish gets off. (I am fishing a plastic frog with a #4 gamu circle) I am amazed I even held the fish for the 3 minutes or so. about 30 more casts with 1 follow and nuttin. Back to work, (or maybe to store to buy a few more 88centers) Found a bridge, (work can wait) worked through nettles, and weeds taller than I to find the stream. first cast and dang horseflies, swatting at them while the lil frog is sinking, i get back to reeling , and what is this pressure on the line? fish on! this time a real nice smallmouth (16 or so) gets off after 30 seconds or so this happens about 4 more times, so i know I just don't have the right hook for the application I'm fishing. Shoulda left them bigger Owner's in the car no pics from today, but nothing landed. That is one fun little river to fish. canoe landings in a few places...would be worth a float IMO...if anyone wanted to try something new. Sometimes we find the hot bite simply because we have no other options...

No comments: