Thursday, July 17, 2008

The gorging carp

The bridge...I drive over it twice a day. Tried fishing there with the long rod a few years ago...nothing. Today was different, a good rain shower to mix things up a little. I decide to go under the bridge...I see water movement in a small pool off the main channel...can i get him...no sinker bangs off the bridge support and splashes into the small pool. Move upstream change to a lure, silver #2 with yellow chaser...1 smallmouth. Moving upstream, what's that...looks like ...yep back and fin of a carp moving on the mud flat, aggressive he is, hungry. I sneak back over to the tackle bag, and get the fly rod tie on a crazy fly small circle hook with red pipecleaner...my san juan worm. I have dress pants on, but old shoes. I move upstream on the high road, peek over to the flat...yep still there gorging, how to get to him though? Down the wet weed infested bank I go. Big mud flat..I'm sinking now, how can i get this fly to him, overhanging tree branch, small feeder creek. 3rd cast nope, 4th notta, 5th cast lands behind him....let it sink, sit, sit he moves fast, turns 180 degrees...did he take...the lines moving he's cruising off to the outer edge...he's got the fly, gentle firm pressure...fish on! Not as much of a battle as I had thought..the fish i mean..the mud I'm still sinkin, how can i land him? But he comes in like a log, big fat, and 2 feet long. Does the pic look natural? when did i change from flyfishing to trout exclusivly in $400 waders to chasing down carp in $60 dress pans with rulers and control items?

No comments: